Saturday, August 8, 2009

Finally, we have air tickets!

I have been very remiss in updating this blog. Life took over ...

I spent these previous months monitoring air fares. In March, there were "kids fly free" tickets, but travel was valid only until July 2009. I have decided that we are visiting California in October, during Sydney's school spring break. This was also ideal, as American children will still be in school; I am hoping that the queues will be shorter. My husband Gambit, can only get away from work for three weeks. Therefore, I planned our trip to last for exactly 18 days, plus extra days to recover from jetlag.

United (Sydney to LA) had the cheapest airfare at $800+ average. I trawled Trip Advisor and concluded that the food was disappointing, no individual TV screens (very important if you are flying with small children), very old planes. The general feedback was that it was not a good experience at all.

Next to be researched was Air New Zealand. They had newish aircraft with individual screens. The stopover at NZ meant longer flying time. Delta airlines (a new addition to the Australian route) seemed to tick all the boxes, but seats were not available on the dates I wanted.

Finally, I decided on V Australia. This was the most direct flight, individual screens, positive food reviews, reasonable price ($1000 average), and updated B777. Also I am a big fan of Sir Richard Branson, as well as being a Velocity cardmember. Things stacked up.

The call centre lady was very helpful. She even called me the next day to sort out some pricing issues as I required a domestic flight from San Francisco to LA. I was quite happy with the booking process on the phone. There is however a surcharge for phone bookings.

No comments:

Post a Comment