Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 10 - Road Trippin'


The long drive from Anaheim to Monterey

I have always dreamed of a road trip in the U.S.A. It must be all those movies I have seen in my youth. Or it could have been the Chili Peppers' "Road Trippin" ... "It's time to leave this town, it's time to steal away. Let's go get lost anywhere in the USA ..."

So here I am living the song ... waxing poetry ...

Google Maps says that this will be a 6-hour drive along Interstate 5 (I5), CA-46, then US-101. We left Anaheim in our rented SUV at 6:30am to beat the Los Angeles morning rush hour. I packed nutella sandwiches for the boys and more or less moved them from the bed to the car in their pyjamas. Indeed we made it through L.A. smoothly. I am proud to say that this drive was just as I expected it to be. We experienced the vastness of California and I really felt that I was here. Connected and living the moment.

I relieved my husband once of the driving duties, along I-5 . We made four stops in small towns. We arrived at Monterey around 1:00pm, neither tired nor cranky.

One thing to note about the drive is the changing landscape. From Southern California's barren landscape to the lush green of Monterey Peninsula. Here it is in pictures ...





No comments:

Post a Comment