Friday, October 16, 2009

Sidebar #5 - Handy tipping tips


USA is also a land of tipping. (Nope, not the Aussie meaning of tipping which is actually betting.)

We Australians do not have the 'tipping culture'. In truth, we feel quite uncomfortable paying someone for their services. I suppose we just expect excellent customer service for free!

But not in the USA. My understanding is that the service people are not paid much, hence their reliance on tips to eke out a living.

Some hotels have gratuity envelopes which make it easy and discrete to leave money for the housekeeping lady. Worldmark had the gratuity envelope. But not the other three hotels we stayed in. So I simply leave my tip on top of my pillow. I normally leave between US$5 to $10 depending on my frame of mind.

I gave a $20 tip to the cab driver who drove us to the hotel from Los Angeles airport because I thought he was just so helpful. I also give $5 to waiting staff in restaurants.

My rule of thumb is to tip the amount that you feel comfortable with. If you are so happy, then by all means tip generously!


No comments:

Post a Comment