Monday, October 19, 2009

Sidebar #10 - Dirty Laundry

Launderette at the corner of Munras Avenue and Soledad Drive

Reality will always catch up with you even in beautiful places. You gotta do your laundry. And a smart mum will not use the hotel's costly laundry service. With 4 peoples' clothes to wash, it's going to cost me a fortune!

So for the first time, I wuz at an American laundromat. I admit I was a bit apprehensive because of the movies I have seen. But why should I be? I was at Monterey, it's not a ghetto. On the other hand, I met some interesting characters.

Bring lots of quarters or the laundrymat person can change your notes to quarters. Don't forget to bring your own laundry soap. After inserting my eight quarters into the washer (one quarter will give you 7 minutes in the dryer), I struck a conversation with a Filipina (whom I gathered was someone's babysitter). She gave me directions to a Filipino store because we were craving for home made dishes after 11 days on the road.

Then I sat down to read a Twilight book while discreetly hearing casual conversation of the other patrons.

There's nothing like a laundromat to make you feel like a local!

No comments:

Post a Comment