Thursday, October 15, 2009

Of knights and armours!




Medieval Times - the boys' holiday highlight!

I have been to a Medieval Times show once in my life at Schaumburg, IL. That was about 15 years ago during the 'before-husband' stage. I remembered that my female workmates and I enjoyed it so much especially because the knights were all very good-looking!

Fast forward to the present time ... Because of my stories, the boys were so excited for the Medieval Times that I got hounded by questions long before we reached Anaheim! "What is the story, mum?", "how do they fight?", "what weapons do they use?" and on and on it goes ...

Our first night and our first dinner at Anaheim was at the Medieval Times.

First the food. The food is served while you are watching the show. This means eating in semi-darkness. The feast comprises of soup, garlic bread, half chicken, potato slab, one pork rib, a pastry for desert, coffee and a choice of coke, water or tea. Since we were medieval, there are no cutlery. One uses ones hands to eat! We quite enjoyed it!

Now for the show. In a few words - very entertaining. It was a gallant display of horsemanship and the production design was impressive. There were six knights who jousted, dueled and showed off their fighting prowess. It's all scripted of course. But one should just enjoy the show and not see the errors nor the careful exchange of blows. All guests were given their colors at the beginning of the show. We were placed in the red team. Gab's favorite color was blue, and he was quite
upset that we got red. Once inside the arena and after seeing our handsome red knight, I told him that red will win so he should not fret. Of course, I just 'willed' it to happen. And sure enough, our red knight won the tournament! Don't ask how I knew ... because I didn't!

In a nutshell, do watch a Medieval Times show. I am telling you, you can skip Disneyland but not a knights' tournament. Just ask my son!




No comments:

Post a Comment